Thursday, June 2, 2011

Friends

Man oh man! It literally has been forever since I have posted on my blog...its literally been since November. CRAZY!!!! I will definitely try to be more productive and share from time to time. Something that is brandy new with me and the Mrs....we now have a little girl and she is absolutely, positively cooler than the other side of the pillow! Its crazy how much you watch what you do so you can be better for someone who will learn everything from you...mercy.

Well I decided to blog because of some stuff that I have been noticing and plus a conversation that I had with my big sister this morning. To begin...lets talk about the playoffs. Random..I know. But we all know that Miami and Dallas are playing for the ship. I'm torn in who I am wanting to win because I really like Dirk, I always have and I think it would be great for him and Jason Kidd to get a ring before they retire...BUT...I would love for LeBron and Miami to win a ring just so he can shove it in Cleveland's face...more so the owner and all the other haters. He didnt abandon anyone! He had the choice to go and play anywhere and he chose to go to the place where he felt like he could win a ring...the ultimate goal of ANY NBA player. I feel bad for him because if he wins, people will say "oh you went down there just to lose" and if he wins they'll say "you couldnt do it by yourself you needed the help of other people." And this is where I begin. Its foolish to think that he could have won a ring without the help of other role players...MJ (although he is the greatest) had help. Kobe had help! They were fortunate to be surrounded by other players who could help support the load and make them even better than what they were.

So..what does this have to do with what me and my sister spoke about? I'm glad you are curious enough to see and read :). My sister wrote on facebook last night saying "what do you do when you've grown older and maturer and it seems some friends are stil in that immature phase? i think some people are afraid to grow up." That is a great question.

First we need to understand that not everyone we associate ourselves with are friends. We get confused with friends and associates. I see a friend as being someone who I can have relationship with...I'm talking true, share problems know they have our back relationships. How many people can we actually say that about? If we are honest with ourselves...not too many. Proverbs 27:10 says "
Genuine friends must be cherished and not forsaken." I have several "friends" who have been forsaken...obviously they weren't genuine...I digress.

To answer my sisters questions, what do we do when the ones we have grown up with, even in their adult years, still choose to be immature (sinful) even when they know better? Ill answer it this way:

1.
Proverbs 13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

The Bible calls these individuals fools...OUCH! The truth hurts. We are also commanded to avoid people like this.

2.Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
3.Proverbs 14:7 Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.

When we have been fortunate enough to be pursued by Christ, then we should come to the understanding that we arent supposed to group with these guys anymore. We definitely love them and pray that they come to Christ. But the paths are completely separate now.

We need to understand that we arent called to be friends with everyone Prov 22:24

And we definitely need to choose our friends wisely. We need to surround ourselves with people who are going to make us better, not worse Prov 27:17.

That brings me back to LeBron. He decided to seek out a location that was going to make him a better person, to get him to his ultimate goal...a ring. What goals do you have in life? What mark or legacy are you trying to leave? Are you surrounded by people who will get you to that goal or hinder it? John 15:13 we need to remember the ultimate friend...Jesus Christ

1 comment:

  1. You're right on here, Bruh! Definitely! I read a poster recently that mentioned that we have misunderstood the concept of 'fellowship'. Ususally, we think of it as a group of people hanging out together, catching up on the phone, etc.; but fellowship is the art/act of experiencing life together. That's also what constitutes a friendship. There is a strong level of committment involved; so yes, I agree that if your circle of friends fail to push you toward greater things in life, you must seek new friends. Some people are in your life for a reason, some for a season; and others for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete